Choice of adhesive is important when designing a Membrane Keypad. There are many factors to consider including material type and surface finish and the operating environment of the product.
Typical applications for Membrane Keypads use 3M 467, however, many different adhesives are available which meet a variety of application specifications.
- Adhesive options include:
- 3M 467 (standard applications) – For general industrial bonding between substrates and typical surfaces
- 3M 468 (double thickness 467) – For general industrial bonding that need a
slightly thicker adhesive than normal nameplates etc
- 3M LSE (low surface energy applications) – Excellent bond to low surface energy
plastics, such as polypropylene, powder coatings or lightly oiled surfaces
- 3M VHB (very high bond) – VHB adhesive is suited for when high bonding
strength is needed for industrial bonding with high shear or pull force
Of course with any adhesive that you may choose, the most important step to maintain
adhesive, is to ensure that the bonding surface has been thoroughly prepared by
cleaning and making sure it is dry and well unified. Typical cleaning solvents are Isopropyl alcohol/water mixture (rubbing alcohol) or Heptane.